Tuesday, July 27, 2010

upper spine

is it trite to say how much i love yoga?  i love it. it's a form of meditation i don't find difficult - you slow the mind right down through holding the body, and knowing the body, and feeling the body.

what i love too is feeling the body get stronger week by week, and feeling an intimacy grow.  how was i not that intimate with my body? how did i get so distant from the flesh i inhabit? no, not inhabit. i don't inhabit my body, i am my body.  it is what it is that is me.


ooooh oooh morrissey does the body rule the mind or does the mind rule the body ... i dunno...

in which once again, the smiths prove to be the source of all wisdom about all things.  it is strange when certain poses push too far, or not far enough, or the more you learn about a pose, the way the feeling of going to it, and then holding it, and then exiting it shifts. even the really simple standing poses - the more i do them, the more aware i become of every inch of my body - down to my fingers being stretched properly - to muscle areas in my thighs and how they should be facing to best experience the asana.

i can feel it helping my posture. i have one vertebrae in my neck that juts out at an odd angle due to years and years of slouching and terrible posture.  through pulling it back, and trying to tighten the muscles around them, and through my teacher's explaining how we are supposed to work towards a shoulder stand, i can feel what muscles are fucked up.

and thus ends my yoga diatribe.

this is the advantage of keeping this as an exercise in exposure/narcissism/emotional-mental-verbal-defecation - i can blatter about without caring what impact this does, or doesn't make.

i suspect i need to start getting into work at a decent time. this is, i admit, more than fair enough.  i'm attempting to read more.  i am already becoming lax and indifferent towards my uni studies. wow. this time, it took me what? a week?  maybe i should read Is History Fiction? either that, or The Master of Go by Kawabata. last time i was in brisbane, i went on a terrible (read - exceptional) book spree, and spent a few hundred (ok, probably close to 400) on books.  am attempting to make the rule of Read Five For Each One i Buy. i find the Read Five for Each Binge I Have seems to work better.

tomorrow, sydney-town to see STEPHEN FRY oh JOY!LIF_IC_ATION!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment